Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Treasure Loop Trail

Treasure Loop Trail - Lost Dutchman State Park-Superstition Mountains
Location: Lost Dutchman State Park - 6109 E Apache Trail Rd 
 Distance of Hike: 2.4 miles
Kid Friendly: Yes
Parking Fee: Yes $7
 
This is my favorite short hike! Family friendly, gradual incline and amazing views! 

 
The Superstition Mountains are my favorite mountains to hike. There are an endless amount of trails. There are caves, canyons, waterfalls (after rain), easy trails, hard trails...
 
The Treasure Loop Trail was one of the first trails we did as a family.  We took our little kids 10 and under to hike this 2.4 mile trail.  I wasn't familiar with the entire trail so we only made it half way the first few times we hiked it.  Starting counterclockwise we would hike to the "big rocks" where are kids would climb and play. One time they found "The Lost Dutchman's Treasure." Someone planted a treasure box with fake jewels and coins.  Another time our youngest was stung by a bee on his thumb.  It's always an adventure.  We weren't sure how much longer the trail was at that time so we turned around and headed back the way we came. 
 
 That is one tip I would give for hiking with young kids for the first time. Turn back before they are tired or hike a trail you know they can finish. Start out small the first few times. Learn you child's endurance level. A question I get a lot is: What is a kid friendly trail?  It really depends on your child. I know a 6 year old child that could not finish this hike.  I know another 6 year old that hike Flat Iron and made it look easy!  It all depends on your child.
 
I would recommend this trail to families.  There are some inclines to give your children a challenge.  I think kids can gain a great sense of accomplishment by hiking challenging trails.  Give your kids some time to play at the "big rocks." Enjoy the views.  Our favorite time of day to hike this trail is early morning.  You are in the shade of the mountains the entire time.  I love watching the sun come over the mountain. 
 
I had to share a funny story about this trail.  I took my six kids on this hike without my husband.  It was the first time I did a trail with the kids without him.  We decided to hike it clockwise this time.  The 3 older kids ran ahead when they spotted the "big rocks." The three little boys were with me.  My youngest was just learning to talk. It was early morning, no one else on the trail except us.  I had my youngest in a back carrier and he yells out "Big dog!"  I stopped dead in my tracks!  I'm looking around for a mountain lion, javelina, coyote... my mind racing as I'm trying to locate all of my kids.  Come to find out he was talking about a big rock formation, which did look like a head of a big dog.  Ha ha!  It took me a while but I did find it funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment